Friday, August 29, 2008

Nice speech. I was glad to hear it, but what counts is not what you and I think; what counts is what the pundits and the talking heads tell us. In other words, the spin's the thing whereby we'll crown a king.

NPR this morning focused once again - and it's not just NPR; it's all of the major news sources - on personality and not issues. "Was he charismatic, did he sound presidential, what will the Republicans do to counter", and on and on with no real emphasis or analysis of content beyond how the speech played to the public. Everything gets reduced to poll numbers, and content goes out the window. We seem to forget that the person embodies the policies, and it's the policies that count. The candidate is the salesman, the policy is the product, but the press insists on a cult of personality and obfuscates the issues. Obfuscation of issues is a great boon to Republicans.So, yes, I liked Obama's speech.

The policies are what counts and are how I'll base my choice. Pundits be damned.

2 comments:

JPCLOUT said...

Obamas speech was nothing more than political jargin.
Appease the insane liberal extremests that think the US is the cause of all the worlds problems. While throwing a small bone to the true American Patriots. The downfall of the most evil and brutal regime since Hitler was more than an "achievement".
That being said, I am a true "Patriot", so that means I support the president no matter what political affiliation.
When the president is struggling we all are.

philly40 said...

What can I say to this. I would like to know how you define "insane liberal extremists". As for myself, I'm against insane people in power, left or right. I know quite a few people who call themselves liberal, and all of them are sane.
A Patriot is someone who thinks that his country is the greatest in the world because he was born in it. That's how we get U.S. Patriots, Russian Patriots, German Patriots, Japanese Patriots, Chinese Patriots, and on and on.

When we are struggling, the president should also struggle. He is one of us!